Day One of Experiencing Life as a Working Single Parent

Emily disappeared for five days at about 6:00 this morning.  Don't worry; it wasn't the act of an evil wizard.  This was a planned five day departure from the boys.  When I say boys, I am including Everett in this group.  Now before you wonder what kind of mom leaves a four and a half month old baby with a working husband, let me add it was my choice to stay behind.  Due to what Emily is doing, it made the most sense for Everett to stay with me if I was planning to remain here.  I have client work that would be easier to do here (not necessarily less distractions, but at least the type I am already used to seeing), and I was confident I could manage with Everett for a few days (all the pressing work has already been completed).

So, was I right?

It appears mommy and son had a secret meeting while daddy was asleep.  They must have agreed that Everett was going to try to make life as easy as possible.  I've had about fifteen hours of "single parenthood", and it has gone about as smoothly as I could ever wish from any all-powerful genie.  The bottle feeding has gone amazing, which is really a treasure because any reader of my dad column knows that hasn't always been the case.  Everett has been happy all day, and even went for two naps, and is now asleep for hopefully a few hours.  I also got almost all the work I planned to do today -- which is impressive, considering I resigned myself to the fact I'd end up getting a little behind.

The single parenting thing is easy.  Of course, I've now jinxed myself.  And I've also only done it for a measly fifteen hours.  This is probably what would be considered a dream day.  You should ask me how I'm doing when Sunday arrives.  I've also only looked after Everett, took care of the dog, and done writing work.  This means I've neglected other things like eating well or cleaning the house or doing chores -- or any other things that a real single parent has to do.  I never want to be a single parent, because I'd probably wither away after six days.  Luckily, I only have to do it for five. 

I've also haven't done a night yet.  This will be coming up.  I can handle the Everett that only wakes up twice in the night, but there is no promise I'll get him.  Plus I don't have a breast I can just pop into his mouth, but rather I have a bottle that I have to get ready.  I'm usually pretty useless when I am woken up in the middle of the night.  We will see how that goes.  Hopefully, I don't end trying to feed my son a can of Ginger Ale by mistake.

I'm alive.  This was all I was really hoping for.  I'm glad that I've done fairly well for Day One.  Or the truth is that my son has been absolutely magical on his first day without mommy.  I'm glad he has taken to the bottle and handled my more unorthodox style of parenting.

On a totally different note, I want to thank everyone for their kind words and support over Crosby's passing.  It has meant a lot to us.  It is great to know that I have such awesome readers, friends and family.  I of course, already knew this, but it is nice when it gets confirmed.

Comments